Sports Betting Guide

How do warning cards affect the outcome of the match

Some bettors underestimate the statistics, for example, the number of committed fouls in a game. This is a huge mistake because every committed foul increases the chances for a team to receive a yellow card. What is more, every received yellow card raises the risk of getting a player sent off the field because of a red card, which as a result can lead to a team conceding a goal and even losing the entire match. Let us take a closer look at how penalty cards can influence the game.

how can warning cards affect the result of a match

Team A card increases the risk of team B card

While betting on the penalty cards one must understand that the process of receiving cards during the game has a snowball effect. The game will be running smoothly until someone will commit a hard foul or get the first card. It usually happens after the rough tackle or referee’s mistake, like an unreasonable penalty card, that teams get off balance. The game itself becomes more physical and players subconsciously start playing rougher. Of course, the referee plays an important part in this. Insistent, but most of all impartial and fair referee can ease the tensions when needed while incompetent one will only make the situation worse. It has been proven that every card for team A increases the chances of receiving a penalty card for team B. What is the reason behind it? The main thing here is the fact that referees have a tendency for balancing their decisions during the match. While giving more penalty cards to team A, they often think they are biased and favour the other team. This results in a “guilty” feeling and attempts to compensate for team A’s previous decisions by punishing team B.

Does the red card tip the scale in one’s favour during the draw?

As we mentioned at the beginning, every committed foul increases the risk of a yellow, and consequently, a red card. Thus, affecting the final outcome of the match. Statisticians found that the goal-scoring ability of a team playing with one player advantage significantly raises up to 65%. What are the chances for a weakened team finishing the match with a satisfactory outcome? Statistically speaking, only 5% of teams playing one man down managed to win the match if a player receives a card during the draw situation. The result did not change till the end in 30% of the cases and, as you would expect it, 65% of cases resulted in a loss. These numbers evidently show that every single foul counts and could potentially affect the final outcome of the match.

How much does the red card affect the home and the away side?

Generally, the home team always has some sort of advantage and penalty cards are not an exception. The atmosphere in the stadium and the pressure from the fans often affects referees. As a result, they book away team players more frequently than the home team ones. Whether you believe it or not, statistically, away team players receive 65% of all warning cards in a game, which is quite a difference. One study also shows that the away team red card increases the chances of a home team scoring a goal up to 70%, while in the opposite case the likelihood is only around 60%.

The home field advantage in football

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

Restricted HTML

  • Allowed HTML tags: <a href hreflang> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote cite> <code> <ul type> <ol start type> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <h2 id> <h3 id> <h4 id> <h5 id> <h6 id>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
  • Web page addresses and email addresses turn into links automatically.
Online Bookmakers

Online Bookmakers

Check out some comprehensive reviews of some selected online bookmakers. 

Free Betting Tips

Free Betting Tips

Take a look at free betting predictions from our expert tipsters.

Tips ending soon
SINGLE
Stake: 5/10
Will Opening Ceremony Tokio 2020 take place on 24/07/2020?
Bet type: No | Odds: 1.71 7/10